Glitter and “shiny dust” used on baked goods can be toxic or inedible: CDC | 2021-12-02

0

Atlanta – Certain food decorating products, including glitter and dust products, may contain high levels of copper, lead and other harmful heavy metals, a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns.

Despite the popular trend to use these items – known as “shiny dust” – to decorate cakes, cupcakes and candies, the CDC warns that many of them are inedible and can be poisonous. These products are commonly available online or at craft and bakery supply stores.

Under the Food and Drug Administration Federal Food, Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1938, food additives must meet certain safety and labeling guidelines. Even though the products are labeled as non-toxic, they may not be intended for consumption and should only be used as decoration. In January 2018, the FDA issued an opinion who urged home and business bakers to only use products that are specially made to be edible.

According to the CDC, the product’s labeling must indicate that the item is not safe for human consumption. Products should also include a full list of ingredients, and bakers should check the list carefully to make sure they can be eaten. Some products are sold under names like Petal Powder, Glitter Powder, Glitter Dust, Glitter Dust, Highlighter, and Disco Dust.

The CDC notes that educating consumers, commercial bakers, and public health professionals about the potential dangers of food preparation items is essential to prevent illness and unintentional poisoning from toxic metals and other non-toxic ingredients. edible.

The report was published online in the CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.