Comax Flavors has published new primary research on consumer behavior, use and attitudes towards cakes, cookies, donuts, muffins, pies, cupcakes and brownies. The study was conducted in February 2021 with 1,200 US respondents aged 18 to 70 and over; half were women and the other half were men. This is Comax’s twentieth study of the company’s primary market research program.
According to Technavio, the global bakery market will grow by $ 116.14 billion in 2020-2024.
“Americans have endless sweets. Traditionally, baked goods evoke comfort and joy and often evoke warm childhood memories. The pandemic has accelerated consumers’ desire for sugary baked goods, ”said Catherine Armstrong, vice president of corporate communications for Comax Flavors.
Comax has partnered with Amy Marks-McGee of Trendincite LLC to manage the market research program and Costello Creative Group to translate the data into creative, fun, and easy-to-read infographics.
- The most popular type of cake is “Frosted / Glazed” with nearly two-thirds 64% of respondents citing it.
- “Chocolate” (55%) is the most popular cake flavor among all generations: Generation X (60%), Generation Z (57%), Baby Boomers (55%), Silent Generation (50%) and generation Y (47%%).
- “Vanilla” (40%) is the second favorite flavor of respondents.
- A quarter of respondents (26%) consume equally the flavors of “Strawberry” and “Cookies & Cream” cakes.
- “Frosted / Glazed” (73%) is the type of cupcake most liked by all respondents, with almost three-quarters citing it.
- “Chocolate” and “Vanilla” are the two most important cupcake flavors among all respondents: “Chocolate” (51%) is the most common flavor among all generations; Baby Boomers (59%), Generation Y (55%), Generation X (54%), Generation Z (48%) and the Quiet Generation (30%).
- “Vanilla” (50%) follows chocolate closely and is appreciated by all generations; Generation Z (63%), Generation Y (60%), Generation X (54%), Baby Boomers (35%) and Silent Generation (10%).
- 42% of respondents consume “Red Velvet” cupcakes.